Wednesday, October 3, 2012

King of the Road


kotr2012

I was a bit weary about this race. I initially wanted to join the 16.8 k distance like I did the previous year. However, I was planning a bit of rest after back to back half marathons the past two Sundays (Run United 3 and Rexona Run). Besides, there wasn't really anything  significantly different from the other two race distances with the 16.8k. I then went for the 10k category this time.


Photobucket


What's good about this race is the organizer (Proactive) made a lot of things easier. First, we no longer have to register online and pay via credit card. Second,  there was a pre registration (which will ship the race gear) and in store registration which eliminates the procedure of claiming it in an event like last year. Third was finally having an option to choose singlet color which means no more "We only get what's available brouhaha".




Photobucket

I finally got to be ahead of time for a change. By the time the 16.8k runners went off, there was some celebrity interviews coupled with a warm up from Biggest Loser coach Jim Saret. What's impressive was that there was a CG presentation of the race map usually only seen in Run united races. The confetti was a nice touch that I was too distracted to turn on my timer.

Photobucket

During the race,  I wanted to try and break my 10k PR of 1:06, this is the perfect chance because we no longer needed to climb the Buendia flyover unlike previous BGC held races. however, lingering pain in my left knee forced me to slow down a bit in the first few kilometers of the race until I decided to shift more of the weight on the right side.  I finally got to finish at 1:09, my fourth best time for the 10k distance.

kotr20125

Overall, it was a nice race. Ample hydration and basic race support needs are met, even had a support crew made up by the OK runners and Jollibee himself. The only gripe was the long claiming of loot bags. But with the improvements in this year's KOTR, I'm definitely joining again next year.

Results can be viewed here: http://race.proactive.ph/adidas-kotr-2012/

kotr2012

No comments: